The sweet and spicy Keto General Tso Chicken is truly a mouthwatering treat for your tastebuds.
If you love orange chicken but prefer a spicy kick then this keto version of general tso chicken will be your new favorite recipe
This delicious recipe is a true copycat, tasting almost as good as the restaurant version but without the added sugar.
When you’re craving Chinese takeout, this recipe can be prepared and ready to eat in just a couple of minutes.
This dish is also great for meal prep, served with cauliflower rice and stored in airtight containers for the week.
Best Keto General Tso Chicken Ever
I have had so many people ask for me to make a culinary lion worthy General Tso Chicken Recipe, and I kept putting it off. No longer!!!
You can use chicken thighs or chicken breasts to make this recipe; I personally prefer thighs
I bread the chicken using Pork King Good Breadcrumbs aka crushed pork rinds and a simple egg wash.
The sauce has that sticky sweet and spicy texture that I love, and it coats the chicken perfectly. The sauce is somewhere in between an orange chicken and a sweet and sour chicken but with a kick.
The breading will hold onto the chicken but if you manhandle it you might have some breakage lol.
Other then that this is a solid recipe that I’m very proud to share with you. If you love Classic Asian Carryout be sure to checkout My Drunken Noodles Recipe
Winner Winner Low Carb General Tso’s Chicken Dinner.
If you take the time to read my blogs, I thank you. You may also notice that I like to provide a brief history as to the origin of some of these iconic foods.
Though it is unclear whether there was actually a General Tso, one thing is certain. He never ate anything resembling this recipe.
Though this is one of the most popular Chinese takeaway dishes in America, you would have difficulty finding this dish in China.
Keto General Tso Chicken Recipe
- Chicken Breast or thighs
- Pork King Good Breadcrumbs or Almond Flour
- Heavy Cream
General Tso Sauce Ingredients
- Alternasweets Classic Ketchup
- Sesame Oil
- Avocado Oil or coconut oil
- Sambal Oelek
- Tamari Sauce Gluten Free Soy Sauce (or coconut aminos)
- Lime Juice
- Fish Sauce
- Grated Ginger
- Minced Garlic
- Sliced Scallions
- Rice Wine Vinegar
- Lakanto Golden Monkfruit Sweetener
- Togarashi or sesame seeds with red chili flakes
- ¼ tsp Xanthan Gum (optional to thicken the sauce)
For exact amounts, see the recipe card Below
- Cut chicken breast into 1-inch cubes, then in a small bowl, whisk eggs, cream sriracha and Togarashi together. Toss chicken in egg mixture and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- In a separate medium bowl, pour out ½ cup of pork king good breadcrumbs. As you bread each piece of chicken individually you can add a bit more breadcrumbs until all chicken has been fully coated. You can make your own pork rind breadcrumbs in a food processor if you prefer not to buy them.
- Place in oven or air fryer at 375 degrees F. for 20-25 minutes until fully cooked, then let rest for 5 minutes before tossing gently in the sauce.
- To prepare sauce, set a large pan over medium heat; sauté ginger, garlic, and avocado oil until veggies begin to soften then add scallions and lime juice and zest.
- Next, whisk in monk fruit sweetener and caramelize. Finally, add the remaining ingredients and stir until the sauce begins to reduce and thicken. If the sauce seems too thick, add a tbsp of water or chicken stock for desired viscosity.
“British food expert Fuchsia Dunlop called it “the most famous Hunanese dish in the world,” the Times reported. Legend says Chang-kuei invented General Tso’s chicken in the 1950s while serving a group of U.S. military members. He named it after a 19th Century Chinese military leader”Chicago Tribune reported.Dec 3, 2016
General Tso Chicken & Waffles!!!
Whatever the history of this dish, you can rest assured I’ve taken some liberties to make it keto friendly.
Traditionally you would see this recipe served alongside a bowl of white rice. To make it a keto complement, I recommend serving this dish over some riced cauliflower.
If you really want to take things to another level you can make Broccoli Scallion Chaffles.
I was feeling creative, so I thought it would be cool to make an Asian Chicken & Waffles.
The crispy waffles and spicy chicken combined are quite the treat. I’ve posted the Broccoli Scallion Chaffle Recipe at the bottom if you want to try it.
I’m a big fan of the Dash Mini Waffle Maker for Chaffles and I don’t think you’ll find a better use of $10 bucks.
General Tso Sauce
The sauce is what really makes this dish. We have replaced the corn syrup and cornstarch with Alternasweets Ketchup and Golden Monkfruit Sweetener.
When you add the gluten-free soy fish sauce with ginger and garlic, you create a sweet and sticky sauce similar to hoisin sauce but without all the sugar
You can control the spicy level by how much Sambal Oelek you use. Feel free to add an extra tablespoon or two if you like that extra spice.
White or Dark Meat.
This recipe was made with chicken breast because I have a few family members that don’t like dark meat.
If it were up to me I would have used boneless skinless chicken thighs for this recipe but I’m a reasonable person so I was accommodating.
You can use whichever chicken pieces your family prefers. Just for some future ideas, you can also substitute thinly sliced beef or shrimp.
You can simply sauté in the pan and then make the sauce in the same pan to make this a super quick one-skillet dinner. I throw some steamed broccoli florets in at the end to add color and texture.
More Low Carb Asian Recipes
- Asian Red Cabbage Slaw w/ Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Keto Beef Lo Mein w/ Hearts of Palm Noodles
- Spam Egg Roll Bowl
- Keto Pork Larb Lettuce Cups
- Cold Sesame Noodles w/ Hearts of Palm
General Tso Chicken
- 1 lb Chicken Breast
- 1.5 cup Pork King Good Breadcrumbs
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Heavy Cream
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- 1 tsp Togarashi
General Tso Sauce
- ¼ cup Alternasweets Classic Ketchup
- 2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 2 tbsp Sambal Oelek
- 3 tbsp Tamari Sauce Gluten Free Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1 tbsp Grated Ginger
- 2 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 2 tbsp Sliced Scallions
- 1 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Lakanto Golden Monkfruit Sweetener
- 2 tsp Togarashi or sesame seeds
- Cut chicken breast into 1 inch cubes then in a bowl whisk eggs, cream sriracha and Togarashi together. Toss chicken in egg mixture and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl pour out ½ cup of pork king good breadcrumbs. As you bread each piece of chicken individually you can add a bit more breadcrumbs until all chicken has been fully coated.
- Place in oven or air fryer at375 for 20-25 minutes until fully cooked then let rest for 5 minutes before tossing gently in sauce.
- To prepare sauce, Over medium heat sauté ginger, garlic and avocado oil until veggies begin to soften then add scallions and lime juice and zest.
- Next whisk in monkfruit sweetener and caramelize. Finally add remaining ingredients and stir until sauce begins to reduce and thicken. If sauce seems too thick add a tbsp of water or chicken stock for desired viscosity.
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup Frozen Broccoli Florets
- ¼ cup Pork King Good Breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp Scallions
- 1 tsp Togarashi
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Scoop out ¼ cup of Chaffle mixture and spread out in a sprayed mini waffle maker. Close lid and cook for about 5 minutes until crispy.
This page contains affiliate links
Another winning recipe by the Culinary Lion! I served the General Tso Chicken over broccoli, and it was SO delicious!! You are a master of flavors! 🙂
This makes my day to hear, thank you so much, Its my new favorite recipe…For the moment lol
Sounds delicious! I’m tempted to follow it but when do the fish sauce, ketchup, sambal oelek and tamari get added in the process?
Thank you. the step that mentions to add the Monkfruit sweetener and reduce. After that you would add the rest of the ingredients of the sauce. I will try to clarify that better. hope you give the recipe a try
Sounds so good can’t wait to try it
Its really tasty, can’t wait to hear what you think!!!