Not your average Keto Cauliflower Mash Recipe. This elevated take on low carb cauliflower mash enlists the salty cured flavors of smoked salmon and capers to have your taste buds swimming upstream.
This is a recipe based on a mashed potato recipe I had years ago that I wanted to recreate in keto form. You might think this combination of ingredients sounds strange but I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised how flavorful and creamy this mashed cauliflower is. The combination of salmon, capers and horseradish is very commonly served on bagels or toast points but Also works in fantastic in this low carb side dish. There are many varieties of smoked salmon from Norwegian to Nova Scotia. Just be sure to check the ingredients because I’ve seen a wide range in the carb count from brand to brand. I do NOT recommend fresh or canned salmon because it has a very different flavor and texture that just doesn’t work in this preparation.
Feel free to serve this dish alongside a piece of fresh salmon for an Omega 3 double dose. I would also recommend this dish served with beef or chicken.
- 2 Medium heads cauliflower
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz smoked salmon
- ½ diced red onion
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon horseradish
- 2 tablespoon Fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Dill
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tsp Real salt
- Cut cauliflower into quarters and remove any stem the leaving the core intact.
- Place in a pot with water making sure cauliflower is fully submerged.
- Add sea salt and bring to a rolling bowl for about 12-20 minutes until core of the cauliflower is fork tender and soft.
- Drain in a colander and then return drained cauliflower to pot.
- Add cream cheese and butter then combine mixture using a potato masher.
- Finally gently fold in remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh chives (optional)
I have never heard of mixing all these ingredients together but I tried it anyway. I am glad I did because it is delicious. I was nervous because I made this for my family and they also enjoyed it. Thank you so much for sharing!!!
I know right. I had the potato version of this at a seafood restaurant and fell in love. it sounds so strange but its amazing!!!