Who doesn’t love a little cured meat with their asparagus? If you need a quick Low carb side dish that’s sure to please look no further than Prosciutto wrapped Asparagus. It doesn’t get much easier than a two main ingredient side dish.
This is a simple low carb recipe that always seems to wow my guests whether it’s a family meal or dinner service at the restaurant. It’s a great side dish that can be prepped days ahead of time and only takes minutes to cook.
Because prosciutto is cured and cut very thin I prefer to use it instead of bacon because you wont overcook the asparagus during the preparation. Instead of individually wrapping each spear of asparagus, I find it best to use four or five together in a bundle.
When looking for asparagus try to find a pencil size instead of large thicker varieties. If the only asparagus you can find is too thick you can use a peeler to trim them down to size. The stems of asparagus always need to be trimmed about an inch up to remove the tough fibrous bottom of the stalk. Prosciutto is a very salty cut of pork so when seasoning the asparagus be careful not to over do it. Asparagus pairs great with both red meat and fish but can also be served with pork or chicken. Though best served hot from the oven, this side is great chilled and paired with caprese salads w/ fresh mozzarella and tomatoes.
Last tip when buying the prosciutto look for uniform slices that are separated with plastic sheets and always get a little more then you actually need because a few slices will not cooperate and you’ll want to discard those by eating them immediately.
- Cut the the asparagus above 1 inch from the bottom of the stalks to remove the fibrous section. Next spread the asparagus out on a sheet pan and add olive oil, balsamic vinegar and seasoning. Toss to coat the asparagus
- One at a time place a slice of prosciutto on the cutting surface at a 45 degree angle
- Place 4-5 Spears Of asparagus at the top left corner of the prosciutto and gently roll the prosciutto around the asparagus. The goal is to roll it as tight as possible without tearing the prosciutto and cover most of the Spears leaving only a little bit exposed at the top and bottom
- Set your oven on low broil and place the asparagus on the bottom rack once oven has come to temperature . Broil for about 5-7 minutes until the prosciutto has tighten and the asparagus has turned a bright green.
- You may like to drizzle with a bit of balsamic glace or grated Parmesan on top