Need to ditch that starchy Traditional Risotto? This easy low carb Cauliflower Mushroom Risotto and be made in a quarter of the time as the classic preperation. With about 10 times less carbs per serving its the perfect side dish for your keto lifestyle
Is Risotto Rice or a Method of Cooking??
Most people think that risotto is a type of rice when in actuality it is a method of cooking. This keto version uses cauliflower instead of the more commonly used rice. Traditionally risotto is made by slowly adding warm stock to a grain. This version we will saute cauliflower with a bit of onion and mushroom and slowly add chicken stock. Cauliflower Mushroom Risotto is a great side dish for cutting the carbs as well as the calories.
Cauliflower Mushroom Risotto is an easy to prepare Side Dish!!
This Risotto makes a great side dish in just minutes. You can also serve it as an entree by adding shellfish like lobster or shrimp. I recently prepared some delicious grilled swordfish (pictured below) with an Almond Ramp Pesto. As always it was a perfect pairing of flavors for this risotto. Risotto normally requires your full attention. Stirring constantly for a long period of time. This version can be made in under 10 minutes. Feel free to use any assortment of mushrooms (portobella, Cremini, shiitake, trumpet…etc.) you like. Or just keep it simple with button mushrooms. You can find Cauliflower Rice pre chopped at a lot of fresh markets and grocery stores. You can also take a head of cauliflower and grate it by hand or cut into smaller pieces and pulse it in a food processor.
For a super quick lazy version you can microwave cauliflowers with stock in a microwave safe container. Seal it with plastic wrap and microwave for about 3 minutes. Using the stove top will give you a superior final product. Whenever I need a quick side dish this cauliflower risotto is one of my favorites.
Need More Low Carb Side Dish Inspiration
- Keto Kale Rockefeller
- Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
- Low Carb Cauliflower “Potato” Salad
- Black & Bleu Coleslaw
- Low Carb Saag Paneer
Low Carb Cauliflower Mushroom Risotto
- Start by either grating your cauliflower by hand or curing into florets and pulsing in a food processor so you have pieces of cauliflower about the size of corn kernels, if you chop it too fine it will turn to mush and have more of a polenta texture but that’s another recipe ( stay tuned)
- Heat a medium saucepan on medium high and melt the butter. Next add the onion, garlic and cauliflower and stir for about 2 minutes
- Add salt, pepper and Italian seasoning then pour in half of the chicken stock, let the liquid reduce and add in the rest as needed until the cauliflower is tender but not mushy.
- Add in heavy cream and reduce until most of the excess liquid is gone
- Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese.
- The risotto should not have any excess liquid and have a creamy rich texture. Put a lid on the pot and let sit. After a few minutes the risotto will tighten up further and be ready to serve.
This page contains affiliate links