Keto Cauliflower Colcannon Recipe
This Keto Friendly Cauliflower Colcannon is sure to make your friends and family green with envy. Perfect for your St. Patricks Day Celebration but one bite and you’ll be making this Irish classic year round.
Need more Irish Inspiration Checkout my Smoked Corned Beef recipe on my grilling page
Cauliflower Colcannon: Irish Mashed Potatoes
I know it’s last minute but I wanted to share a quick and easy keto friendly twist on Colcannon (Irish Mashed Potatoes). Just as there’s a thousand mashed potato recipes, there are just as many Colcannon variations.
Obviously the biggest change is using cauliflower instead of the traditional starchy carb filled potatoes. Colcannon can be mixed with kale, cabbage, leeks and a variety of other veggies but for these low carb cauliflower version I’ve chosen to incorporate cabbage and chives.
Feel free to make changes and substitutions to meet your palate.
Colcannon can be used as a base for Bangers & mash or as a lovely topping for your Shepherd’s Pie. You don’t have to have Colcannon only on St. Paddy’s as this classic Irish side dish goes great with salmon and or beef as well.
Irish Whisky Gravy
It just didn’t seem right to make a Keto Colcannon without having an Irish gravy to serve along side it plus it was an excuse for me to bust out the bottle of bushmills from the liquor cabinet.
The combination of whisky and mushrooms has always been a favorite of mine so taking those ingredients and using them to make a gravy seemed like a natural culinary progression.
You can use whatever beef broth you like from a grass fed bone broth to a few cubes of bouillon. If you are really in a pinch you can also use a beef gravy powder packet and just omit the xanthan gum as most of these packets have corn starch or another thickening agent.
This will increase the amount of carbs in the dish and I know a lot of ketonians avoid corn in any form due to the use of gmo.
Irish Grass Fed Cheese and Butter: Kerrygold
I added Kerrygold dubliner cheese to the Colcannon. Not only to tighten up the cauliflower but to add a nutty cheese flavor as well.
Dubliner cheese reminds me of a sharp cheddar because of it bite and subtle tang. It’s a fantastic cheese for all sorts of applications from melting on burgers to slicing and serving on a ploughman’s platter. We keep this cheese on hand year round.
Admittedly it’s much easier to find in March around St Patrick’s Day. Kerrygold butter is also my favorite butter to use for all my Keto recipes because of its creamy rich flavor and quality.
Between these two products you know you’re going to have a fantastic final product. I find that any recipe will only be as good as the ingredients you use in it.
More Side Dish Inspiration
- Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
- Keto Kale Rockefeller
- Low Carb Cauliflower Mushroom Risotto
- Low Carb Cauliflower “Potato” Salad
- Broccoli Salad w/ White BBQ Sauce
Keto Cauliflower Colcannon
- 2 cups Dubliner Irish Cheddar
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 2 heads Cauliflower Quartered
- ¼ head Cabbage Chopped
- ½ cup Chives or scallions
- 1 tsp Redmond Real Salt
- Cut the cauliflower into quarters removing the stem and leaves. Chop Cabbage into large chunks. Add both to a pot of salted water and cook until cauliflower is fork tender.
- Drain water and separate the cauliflower and cabbage. Rough chop the cabbage and return the cauliflower to the original pot. Add butter, salt and cream cheese and mash with a potato masher until smooth.
- Next add the chopped cabbage and chives along with the cheese and fold until cheese has melted.
- Top with additional pat of butter and chives
Mushroom Irish Whiskey Gravy
- Sauté mushrooms and dried minced onion in butter until tender. Add Irish whiskey and deglaze the pan.
- Add beef stock and worcestershire, whisk until stock reaches a simmer then add cream cheese and whisk until smooth.
- Remove from heat, add xanthan gum, parsley and chive. Whisk until gravy has reached desired thickness.
Thanks as always for trying out this recipe and please tag me on instagram or Facebook if you please. I love seeing everyone’s pics and getting feedback on your thoughts. You can also comment below and rate the recipes so I can see what types of dishes are most successful. Remember, recipes are like roadmaps, you can always take another route
This Cauliflower Colcannon recipe contains affiliate links. I receive income from qualifying purchases.