Keto Coney Dog Casserole Recipe
This Keto Coney Dog Casserole has all the flavors of the iconic coney dog but in a healthier low carb casserole.
An iconic east coast favorite, Coney Island Hot Dogs are one of my favorite guilty pleasures.
Just like the original you can top it with your favorite hot dog condiments for the perfect low carb recipe.
The Magic of a Coney Island Hot Dog in Casserole Form
I’ve got to get something off my chest before we go any further. I’ve never actually been to Coney Island.
While in college in western Maryland there was a little hole in the wall hot dog joint that served Coney Island Dogs.
My roommate and I would go at least a few times a week and order more dogs than I care to admit to and begin devouring them. At the time my 18 year old self could handle a lot more carbs than my current self.
See Whats Cooking at grilling24x7.com
Ingredients for Keto Coney Dog Casserole
- Lean Ground Beef
- Beef Hot Dogs
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Alternasweets Classic Ketchup Use code LION for 5% off.
- Yellow Mustard
- Beef Broth
- Dry Minced Onion
- Chili Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Celery Salt
Keto Casseroles have to take a few Liberties with Tradition
Now that I’ve decided to take the bread out of my diet I wanted to come up with a new way to enjoy this nostalgic favorite. Though I’m sure I will have some.
Critics claiming blasphemy. I feel like this recipe is the perfect ketofied casserole when I’m in the mood for a Coney Dog. It’s also the perfect one Skillet Recipe with a trusty 12″ inch Cast Iron Pan
Coney Island dogs are traditionally all beef hot dogs but you can substitute whatever you like for this recipe.
There are many uncured varieties of hotdogs available for those looking to avoid nitrates. When it comes to beef I do recommend going with a leaner cut.
Because this recipe has a good amount of liquid you don’t want to have it end up too greasy. I recommend pouring off most of the fat before adding the other ingredients.
You can always save the fat to sauté with your eggs or add to another recipe.
Load up those Coney Dog Condiments
Other than the chili sauce the condiments were always the best part. You can load up the dog with diced white onions, sauerkraut or a big squeeze of yellow ballpark style mustard.
Since not everyone likes the same condiments I like to serve them on the side. Everyone can customize their own serving and have exactly what they want.
Not sure if pickles or relish are traditional but I always like to serve this recipe with some pickle spears and nobody complains.
Since fall is right around the corner you’ll definitely be seeing a lot more one pan comfort food recipes. What’s your favorite nostalgic comfort food??
More Keto Recipes I think You’ll Love
- MARYLAND STYLE KETO CRAB CAKES
- SLOPPY JOE SHEPHERD’S PIE
- NASHVILLE CHICKEN THIGHS
- STUFFED CHICKEN PARMESAN
Keto Coney Dog Casserole
- In a 12” cast iron pan brown ground beef until almost fully cooked. Drain off any excess fat if you don’t want the final product to be greasy. Keep it in if you love that greasy goodness!!
- Stir in seasoning and half of the sliced hot dogs, continue to cook.
- Deglaze pan with beef broth, mustard, ketchup and Worcestershire. Simmer over medium heat until mixture has reduced then top with cheddar cheese and remaining hot dogs
- Broil for 4-5 minutes until cheese is melted. Let casserole cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with your favorite hot dog condiments like sauerkraut, pickles, diced onion etc.